Edge computing is a distributed computing paradigm used to optimize internet devices and web applications by bringing computation and data storage closer to the data source. This computing system can reduce the requirement for long-distance communications between client and server, which in turn can reduce latency and bandwidth usage. With edge computing, customers can enjoy the flexibility to have devices depending on the cloud, perform tasks independently, and talk to each other when required.
There are many reasons that drive organizations to implement edge computing strategies in their business. Such as:
- Internet of Things (IoT) and all connected digital touchpoints are data sources that need to be secured and registered in the cloud, and the edge will stay near or on these data sources.
- With containerization, developers can get a standardized deployment environment to build and package applications. And, edge computing allows to deploy containers on any hardware, irrespective of device capabilities, settings, and configurations.
- Service and data mesh offer a way to deploy and query data. And services are distributed across datastores and containers across the edge. These meshes present a single interface that eliminates the routing and management of services and data interfaces. This feature makes possible bulk queries for entire populations within the edge instead of having multiple queries on each device.
- Software-defined networking permits users to configure the overlay networks. So, it becomes easy to customize routing and bandwidth to determine how the edge devices can be connected to each other and to the cloud as well.
- With the implementation of 5G, edge deployments become seamless as it ensures the smooth transmission of critical control messages that manage the edge. 5G connects the edge to the internet backhaul and makes sure that edge devices have the correct configurations as well as software versions to continue with the right things.
- Digital twin works as a critical enabler to organize the physical-to-digital and cloud-to-edge. The twin also allows data and applications to be configured using domain terms around assets and production lines instead of database tables and message streams. And, digital twins allow domain experts to configure applications to sense, think, and act on the edge.
Four crucial technologies make edge computing more powerful
XR (Extended reality)
It offers a truly immersive interface for your employees to collaborate and work better in a virtual environment. And the incorporation of edge computing can make it even better with more detailed and interactive experiences.
For instance, car buying, corporate training, or engineering site visit experience can be better with edge computing as people will get new views and zoom in facility for utmost clarity.
Heterogenous hardware can process a huge amount of data in no time and use less power. And the combination of this specialized hardware with the edge can compute efficiently within physical environments and accelerate response as well.
Secure enclaves, federated learning, homomorphic compute, differential privacy, etc., are some of the hardware and techniques that analyze data without exposing all of its aspects. Usually, data remains encrypted when stored and when transmitted, but privacy-preserving technology protects the data even through the compute stage, making it more suitable to use by other lines of business and partners, especially when it requires to occur on edge.
Robotics can be programmed to act on signals and updates at the edge. Implementation of edge in robot-assisted surgery is one of the latest instances of such combination, where the surgical controls remain on the robot, the edge coordinates with the cloud to decide which controls are deployed on the robot, what information is in use, and what information is ultimately transmitted back to the cloud.
The way edge computing will drive cloud computing
The above discussion points in one direction that edge can be the future of cloud computing. Here are some instances that show the further development of edge computing.
Extend AI and IoT:
In industries like healthcare, retails, manufacturing, etc., edge computing is already in use to take care of the most sensitive data and powers the critical systems that need to function uninterruptedly and securely. Edge is a good option for the reliable functionality of the core systems. Where you can incorporate AI and IoT into a system, you can also consider the edge to be implemented in that system.
Create unique value in partner ecosystems:
By controlling edge computing, you can control the data access at the closest point of action. So, you can use a unique position to create differentiated services, which can be used across the entire business and even among partners.
It is just like a data center, where proximity is crucial in high-frequency trading. In case of edge, the users can enjoy similar facilities.
Improves the functionality of 5G, robotics, XR and connected devices:
Implementation of edge computing can help to maximize the returns of next-generation technologies like 5G, XR, robotics, etc. Their combined effect enables multiple new features like voice commands to your car, remote work via teleoperation, and so on. Edge computing also allows the programmability and extreme control that you prefer in your business.
Edge computing is viable today
As you can see that edge computing is able to drive so many technological leaps very fast. It is quite amazing to see such a fast development and efficient working infrastructure. The blog has already explained the unique advantages of edge computing in combination with advanced technologies like IoT, XR, 5G, and others. So, you can start thinking about implementing this architecture in your organization and experience how edge computing can influence your business to run more efficiently, innovate faster and achieve more value from your ecosystem partnerships. If you are planning to incorporate edge in your business, you can consult a trusted IT infrastructure consulting services provider to get help in it.